Final+farewell

Final farewell

May 17, 2017

When I was a freshman four years ago I thought it was going to be a long time before I put on a graduation cap actually walk down that stage at the Blaisdell Arena getting my diploma. But to my surprise, each day went like the wind passes through. It breezes right through the valley with no way of stopping it.  Did I have any regrets? Totally. But, it does not matter when I type away, reminiscent of the past four years. Now, here I am, writing for one last time as a high school student. Expect the unexpected.

I never had a “normal” high school career with playing sports, joining clubs or playing in the band.  I can imagine leaving behind your football career and the friends you played with for four years is bittersweet. It is the end of the best years of your life, as some would call it. That saying, “High school is the best four years of your life,”  sounded hogwash to me everyday coming in. How is doing work and doing practical things ten times harder than the average student, “the best years of your life”? During a decent portion of my years here and still sometimes, I became jealous of others. I thought if you studied hard, play hard and you don’t have any wacky medical conditions, you go far.  I thought about the word, “if”, a bit too much. “You’re just like everyone else, Will,” are some of the words I shall never forget from my fourth grade teacher when I had temper tantrums on how I thought my life was unfair compared to the other person. I held on to the six words growing up, entering middle and high school, vowing to be like everyone else. But, as the years went on, I noticed everyone else played sports after school and I was starting to sit on the sidelines. That meant a great deal of trouble for me as time went on.

I tried hard to be like everyone else, yet I thought I fell short. Again and again, I fall short of doing extracurricular activities but I kept trying and kept on being optimistic in other ways. I tried to keep my spirits high, even though high school was not as I expected it would be. Finally, I was sitting in a class I didn’t enroll in, Newswriting. I spoke my mind and the result was not as I expected it would be. Soon enough, teachers and administrators praised me for just an article I wrote. “How was it that a simple article gave people the feels?”  I thought as I read the comments from my article. As a result, I started to speak my mind in my classes. I came out of my shell and interacted with people of all backgrounds. This helped me tremendously to my benefit. More and more people took the time to get to know me as a person. The little things counts the most and, joining the staff of the Ka Leo O’ Kalani is one of them.

Beyond learning about complex quadratic equations and the failed Hawaiian monarchy, I also learned life lessons.  Being envious only leads to a life of hardships. Everyone has a problem, one way or another, it’s the way we move past them and find a way around it that counts the most. Most importantly, do not compare yourself to other people, live up to your standards, and live with it wonderfully.  In Psychology class, I learned all kinds of cruel mental illnesses such as chronic depression, bipolar, OCD and, a few others. I am fortunate enough to live my life with the ability to ignore the situation if it becomes overwhelming.  I cannot imagine the thought of sleepless night, worrying about what you couldn’t control. I am thankful that I can easily go to bed and, wake up with optimism for better or worse.

I have to thank some people throughout the ride that lasted for four years. For starters, thank you to Ms. Plotkin for putting up with me for the last three years. I could not believe I got placed in your class for three whole years unexpectedly, but I am glad that the unexpected happens because you make learning history fun and I met the most “interesting” people in class. The “interesting” people slowly but surely turned into my friends. Second, Mr. Teraoka, for not being my counselor, you are always there for me. Why? Maybe, your office was next to Ms. Kaneko’s office, when she was away. You always have been a great resource for me when I need help or when I need somebody to talk to so, thank you. Last but not least, Mrs. Tamaye, for being my, “tiger mom”. I can’t believe I am going to say it but, thank you for always pushing me to my full potential and, if you reading this sentence, there, you were right. Every meeting I had during my senior year, she was there, fitting me it into her ultra-tight schedule. I would thank some more people but, I have to write two more paragraphs!

As for me, I am going to college just down the street called Kapiolani Community College. Yay for broadening my horizons while going to the nearest available college! But, it is a starting point during the journey of my rest of my life and it’s all that matters. I will be in for the ride of my life. But as the poem said, do not go gentle into that good night, rage against it. In the summer, I will be heading to Atlanta and Florida on my own. It is going to be quite a challenge trying to navigate the world’s busiest airport without any hassles. Maybe, I will board the wrong flight heading to London when I leave. I had enough of the sunshine and the warm weather here, it’s time for a change of scenery. Kidding.  For wherever that stands between my way, I know if there’s a will, there a way. It has been truly a pleasure.

View Comments (3)

Ka Leo O Kalani • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (3)

All Ka Leo O Kalani Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• M

Mr. ShanahanMay 25, 2017 at 1:47 pm

Your strong spirit has been an inspiration to everyone, including me, Will. Life is really just one big adventure. I wish you all the best in living out yours.

Reply
  • M

Mr. KendrickMay 25, 2017 at 10:33 am

Thank you for your sly wit and always laughing at my bad jokes! Keep me informed about your next great adventure. Bon Voyage!

Reply
  • A

Audie KimuraMay 24, 2017 at 3:46 pm

Will mahalo giving me that smile of your every time I see you. You are a very strong person and I hope all “will” get to know you.

Choke Mahalo from ova hea
    Kimura

Reply
3