Hiroshima Students Visit Kalani

Ryuto Kitagawa, Editorial

Students of Kalani High School recently took students from Koyo High School into their homes and showed them around Hawaii, showing off much of Hawaii’s culture, day-to-day life, and many other things that Hawaii has to offer, in order for Japan (specifically Hiroshima) to create more connections to other nations and hopefully change its image in the public eye.

America and Japan had a well-established trading relationship in 1858, but it was broken when Japan attempted to conquer a large part of Asia and sided with the Axis Powers during World War II. When the ordeal was settled in 1945, Japan made several attempts at ushering in peace, expanding its connections, and changing the way people view the Japanese. The Honolulu Japanese Chamber of Commerce, established in 1986, was meant to help reconnect Japan and America, as well as honor the Japanese who fought bravely for America.

This exchange program, done at many schools in Hiroshima, is another remnant of Japan’s continued efforts for their goal of a better Japan.

Ms.Klein, one of the coordinators of the exchange program stated: “Through the Kalani-Koyo Exchange Program I hope students will have the opportunity to foster thinking from a global-perspective, make international friendships, and strengthen the bond between America and Japan at the grassroots level.”  

And the goals of these programs seem to be working.

Japanese students are becoming more understanding of the people that are here in Hawaii. When asked what their opinion of Kalani students was, Momoka Akita replied “カラニ高校の生徒の中には英語も日本語も上手な人がいて、びっくりしました。”  In English, this roughly translates to: “The students in Kalani High School were both good at English and Japanese, it surprised me.”  She understood that Hawaii has close ties with Japan, and thus many people are bilingual in Japanese and English.

This level of understanding also seems to be present in Kalani students as well. Katrina Nishikawa felt that she “did learn new things about Japan’s culture because [she learned] the house and school customs of Japan.”  She further stated that understanding of the differences between Hawaii and Japan developed a better understanding of Japan and learned to appreciate both Japan and Hawaii’s culture.

This year’s exchange went smoothly, according to Ms.Klein. She felt that since they had been doing this for several years, Mr.Otani was very comfortable with how the process worked on the technical aspects of the program. Also, Ms.Klein’s felt that “it seemed like the Kalani and Koyo students sincerely enjoyed spending time together and getting to know a new friend.”  Momoka also expressed this feeling: “ハワイの人はみんあ優しくておもしろい” or “People in Hawaii [(her host and friends)] were very kind and funny.”  Katrina even claimed that she “[had] fun with [her] newly made best friend.”  The Kalani hosts and Koyo students had an excellent time bonding together throughout this experience.

Also, Ms.Klein’s felt that “it seemed like the Kalani and Koyo students sincerely enjoyed spending time together and getting to know a new friend.”  

Momoka also expressed this feeling: “ハワイの人はみんあ優しくておもしろい” or “People in Hawaii [(her host and friends)] were very kind and funny.”  

Katrina even claimed that she “[had] fun with [her] newly made best friend.”  

The Kalani hosts and Koyo students had an excellent time bonding together throughout this experience.