Where’s your aloha?

December 16, 2016

You may be wondering what the big mural in the B building downstairs breezeway means. Reading, “Where’s your aloha?” with an outline of Oahu, this mural has been sparking curiosity amongst people on campus.

It all started with the World Conservation Congress, which various Kalani students were able to attend thanks to Mr. Otani and Mrs. Tran. At the Congress, students met people from all over the world, and learned how the Conservation movement was evolving. After the Congress, myself and two other Kalani students, Mrs. Tran and Mr. Otani went on the KHON2 morning news to talk about what the Congress was like.
Being on the news inspired Mrs. Tran to create a community-based project to fulfill the purposes expressed at the Congress. Thus, the Where’s Your Aloha project was born.

The Where’s Your Aloha Project is a community project that is focused on the conservation of Oahu. To participate in this project, you just need to first think of your favorite place on the island of Oahu. Then you will need to go to this link: http://bit.ly/2fTRsIZ and fill out the google form. After that, your heart will go on an online google map of Oahu and the google map will show all of the hearts that are participating in the project. Next, you will be given a heart from Mrs. Tran or one of the members who are helping out with the Where’s Your Aloha project. Then you can decorate your heart by putting the name of your favorite place, name, and etc. After you decorate your heart then you can give it to Mrs. Tran or any of the people helping with the project so your heart can be placed onto to the wall in B building downstairs. Finally your heart will be up on the wall for people to look at and admire.

The Where’s Your Aloha Project is looking for half of the population at Kalani High School to participate in the  project. The Where’s Your Aloha Project is also looking forward in the future to put these community projects in schools and popular areas in the community.

The Where’s Your Aloha Project is built by Mrs. Tran, Mr. Otani, Mr. Wong and with contributions from students Weylin Pada, Rianne Pada, Malia Neuman, Noah Coelho, Kailer Okura, Noah Tamura, and Mina Gusukuma.

View Comments(1)

Ka Leo O Kalani • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

Comments (1)

All Ka Leo O Kalani Picks Reader Picks Sort: Newest

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

• M

Matt WongDec 16, 2016 at 9:56 am

Thanks for sharing this article and photos, Rianne and Noah. It’s been great to see this project take shape and continue to grow. I think this is a good example of what can happen when students get excited about an idea and want to work together to share it with their community. The project is not only aesthetically pleasing, it also addresses a relevant, global issue–conservation. Keep up the good work!

Reply
1