Teacher appreciation

May 11, 2016

Tylo Ajifu – 11th grader
My favorite teacher would have to be my Kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Ikenaga. I remember on the first day of school I didn’t really want to be there and she noticed. She gave me a hug and assured me that this year would be fun! And it was. I loved the little song book that she made for us and till this day I still remember a few and sing them to my niece. She’s the best first teacher any little kid could ask for!
Robert Arima – 12th grader
I would like to thank Mr. Zane because he was one of my teachers who made senior year enjoyable for me.
 Samantha Babbs – 9th grader
If I could thank any teacher I would thank a fourth grade teacher in Pacific, Missouri, Mr. Nantz. I would thank him because even though he didn’t have me in class, he was still there for me and caring and would always try to make my day better when I was having a bad day. Also, he still checks up on me every now and then. He has been one of the most influential people in my life.
 Duke Gregory – 12th grader
I would thank my personal favorite teacher Mr. Robello he’s literally been with me from the beginning and the end and I’ll be happy to show him some appreciation.
 Macey Honjiyo – 10th grader
I would like to thank my middle school computer teacher, Mr. Fong for teaching me almost everything I know about a computer and for introducing me to coding.
Peter In – 11th grader
Moving to many different schools, I like to think that I had an opportunity to meet various types of teachers from all over the country. However, after being in the classroom of many, I quickly learned to favor some quite more frankly than others. When I think of what a perfect teacher is, very rarely does one specific teacher come to my mind. However, the first person that comes to my mind would have to be Mrs. Miller: my 7th grade Social Studies teacher. A perfect representation of someone who pours out love towards students, and having the ability to listen to their everyday lifestyles. She never fails to bring joy in learning into the classroom; whether it be speaking about the divine problems about the great depression or of the recent 911 attacks, learning never feels forced in her classroom. Losing track of time because of all the new information learned, she inspires each students to apply the newly learned information into their lives. Teaching with various methods ranging from group games to class lectures, you know you’ll always be in for a surprise.
I would like to thank her for the inspiration that she gave me just from being in a classroom. To influence 120 students to positively give back to the world to making sure each student is given an opportunity to shine out. For helping me find my skills and my strengths, as well as my weaknesses and how to overcome each barrier. Mrs. Miller has definitely changed my perspective on the abilities of what a teacher can do, and will always be someone that I will never forget.
 Kai Kuruhara – 10th grader
I would like to thank a long term substitute I had in the 5th grade. All throughout elementary school, I was extremely shy, to a point where people thought I had “mental” problems. So in the fifth grade, when my teacher left for maternity leave, we got this really mean sub that nobody liked. I vividly remember her yelling and pushing me to speak in front of the class, something no other teacher has ever done before. Over the course of the year, I slowly progressed and became more comfortable speaking to strangers and in front of large groups of people. Five years later, I still possess some of the shyness I once had, but I wouldn’t consider myself to be a shy person…more like awkward. Even though I really disliked my fifth grade substitute, I will forever be grateful for what she has done for me, because coming out of my shell was the best thing that I have ever done. Thank you, Mrs. Balog.
 Ryan Li – 12th grader
I would thank any teacher for all the work they have done for the little pay they get. All the meetings they attend, papers they grade, and students they deal with.
 Trinity Lonoaea – 12th grader
Ms. Hayashi is the person I would thank because she takes alot of my shit. I very much thank her for thank her for that.
 Ryan Matsukawa – 10th grader
I’d thank Mrs. Tomori. At the moment she’s teaching at another school but she was one of my favorite teachers when she was still here. Even though she was only a temporary teacher for Japanese I had her the second half of my year 1 and the first half of my year 2 meaning that she’s taught me more Japanese than any of the other teachers I had. Along with that she was also super kind with all of us and was pretty chill about what we did. Overall Tomori was a great teacher and her class was a really enjoyable time for me.
 Jett Neely – 10th grader
I would like to thank Mr. Okawa. Mr. Okawa has been the best teacher I have ever had. He teaches with enthusiasm and makes sure every lesson is intresting.
 Rianne Pada – 10th grader
I would thank Mr. Allaire, my chemistry teacher. I had him for two years in a row and I think he’s a good teacher- he makes his instructions as clear as possible and always helps his students if they need it. He also really cares about his students; during freshman year he would always remind us that we could come to his classroom to talk to him or just to have a place to stay.
 Will Sanders – 11th grader
This is a tough question to me to answer because I had many great teachers throughout my years at school. On the top of my head, if I have to choose, I thank Mrs. O from 2nd and 4th grade and Mrs. Asuntion from middle school. I learned how to spell and read in Mrs. O’s class. Every day, I would complain about why do I need to spell or read and, why things didn’t design for me. But, more and more, I was ambitious on aceing those spelling tests or, maintain a positive attitude and look where I am standing today.
I thank Mrs. Asuntion for teaching me how to deal with my anger and frustrations, everyday. Her main focus was to get me out of her class (sped science) and other sped classes. She literally accompted that goal. Also, I thank her for teaching me how to be social around peers. When I moved to a different house during 7th grade, she asked the principal to extend the deadline for geographical exception just for me. Because, she knew how hard it will going to be for me to make new friends in Kaimuki.
I thank these people relentlessly looking back.
 William Stuhlreyer – 10th grader
I would thank my religion teacher from freshman year Mr. Kamplain. He always kept class interesting and engaging even if you werent religious. We did everything from acting out bible passages to watching movies and writing essays. That was one of my favorite classes because it was interesting everyday. Even if he would lecture all class you didnt know what he would throw in there to spice it up.
 Noah Tamura – 10th grader
If I could thank a teacher, I would thank Mrs. Tran. I would thank Mrs. Tran because she taught me a lot about photography. If I did not have Mrs. Tran this year, then I would still be taking pictures on automatic mode instead of taking pictures on manual mode. Mrs. Tran also helps me learn and grow in photography.
 Deven Toothman – 12th grader
One teacher I would like to thank is my 8th grade homeroom teacher Mr. Pelayo. He made sure to not only teach us about science, but about being better people. He would also use his own money to buy supplies for experiments in order to make class more interesting and engage his students.
 Alice Yamamoto – 11th grader
One teacher I’m really thankful for is Mr. Chane. He was my freshman English teacher. English was not always my best subject but he made it better for me and I actually learned a lot about writing that year. He did not favorite students based on the grade they had in his class and was very caring for all of his students. He genuinely cared about his students learning and it showed through his way of teaching. I am thankful for all my teachers because although you may not get along or be close with all of your teachers, they are just doing their job by teaching you and it is not an easy job.
 Mrs. Lawther – SPED education assistant
If I would thank any teacher, I would thank all of that I worked with especially, Mr. Toyama. He cares about his students and is very passionate about the art of ceramics. He has helped me profoundly with my ceramic pieces and, I was not even a student!
Ms. Yvonne – Counselor
If I would thank any teacher, I would thank Mr. Butterfield here at Kalani a long time ago. He never gave up on me, even though I failed his class two times and was late for homeroom. I was taught to read critically and, encouraged to go to college.
I would thank all the teachers for their hard work and dedication, including my daughter’s preschool teachers. Here at Kalani, I would thank Mr. Zane. He was my AP Economics teacher in high school and has been my teacher, mentor, guru, these past 9 years. I have learned a lot about teaching and the teaching profession from him. Thank you Mr. Zane!
Ann-Sophie – 10th grader

I would like the thank Mr. Taguchi, because he is really understanding and makes sure his students feel comfortable.