Principal’s message quarter 1 2016-2017

September 21, 2016

Welcome to Kalani High School – Home of the Falcons!

At Kalani High School our students and families are our number one priority. We foster academic excellence and individual growth in an atmosphere that is challenging, respectful and caring. Our graduates have been admittedto some of the most prestigious universities in the country and are now leaders in their communities and around the world.

With approximately 1300 students in grades 9-12, we are a medium-sized high school. Our teachers, support staff and administration work hard to get to know your child as an individual. As a result, we are better able to designprograms, provide guidance and meet the needs of all of our students.

Kalani High School opened its doors in 1958. In the past 50+ years, Kalani had developed a reputation for its academic program and for its safe, nurturing environment.  Kalani was recently recognized by U.S. News & WorldReport as the #1 Public School in Hawaii (in 2014). This is largely due to its innovative and responsive curriculum and college-prep programs. We continued to evolve and grow to

accommodate the needs of all of our students and in response to changing state and national requirements. Our academic programs are second to none.

With emphasis on developing a well-rounded individual, our students have the opportunity to participate in a wide variety of inter-scholastic athletic and academic activities and competitions. Our teams have won many conference,district and state championships.  At Kalani High, all students have the opportunity to grow, develop and to reach for boundless opportunities. As a staff, we are committed to providing our students with a challenging and relevantcurriculum in an environment that is respectful, inclusive and responsive.

I welcome your input and look forward to working with all role groups as we continue our journey to make Kalani High School the best school (public or private) in the State of Hawaii, a school that is academically sound and one thatpromotes a lifelong commitment to citizenship, service and learning in a safe and nurturing environment.

Thank you for allowing me to be your principal.

Sincerely,

Mitchell Otani