Ka Leo O Kalani

Robotics Fundraiser to Support Next-Gen Thinkers

The 2017-18 Robotics Team at Kalani High School. The 30 members of the team are comprised of students from all different classes. This photo was taken at the team’s “‘Botting for the Future” event last year.

Noah Eckfeldt, Guest Features Writer

Would you like to support Magma Robotics, the award-winning robotics team from Kalani High School? They need you to ensure they can continue to make an impact on our community.

Every year the team puts in over a thousand hours in reaching out to the community and laying the groundwork for the next generation of thinkers.

They have events such as academies where they teach students of all ages and demographics about Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Mathematics (S.T.E.A.M.). They have classes for military families, kids grades K-8, and even an all-girls class. Through these efforts, they inspire the attendees to continue in the fields of S.T.E.A.M. and create new and innovative ideas.

Through these efforts, they inspire the attendees to continue in the fields of S.T.E.A.M. and create new and innovative ideas.

How can you support them? There will be a fundraising luncheon called Botting for the Future on Oct. 8, at Tiki’s Bar and Grill from 11:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. The entry fee is $30 and with it you gain entry to the event.

There will be food, door prizes, a live auction, and the team will be showcasing some of their robots as well as more about what they do in a year. $10 of your ticket is a tax-deductible donation to the non-profit organization the alumni of the team started. When you purchase the ticket not only are you gaining access to a magnificent event, but you are also helping to support the next generation of problem solvers.

A video chronicling one of the matches from the World Championship Robotics Competition held last year in April in Louisville, Kentucky. Kalani’s Robotics Team made it to the semi-finals. In 2018, FIRST Robotics Global Championship will be split into two events. One half will be held April 25-28, 2018, at Cobo Center in Detroit. The next portion will be held April 18-21 in Houston.