Kalani Bowlers Take Aim at OIA Champs

Dylan Shugart bowling at K-Bay Bowling Alley. Photo by Noah Tamura 2017.

Noah Tamura, Sports Writer

Bowling, a fall sport at Kalani High School, is being led by senior Dylan Shugart, and the 2017 season is more than halfway done. The team practices at K-Bay Lanes on Wednesdays and Saturdays and has matches every Thursday.

This year, the Kalani Bowling Team consists of 18 boys, five girls, and Coach Mel Imai. On the roster, there are 10 seniors, six juniors, four sophomores, and three freshmen. There is only one four-year player, Dylan Shugart. Dylan is also the team captain for the boys’ side while Rianne Pada is the team captain for the girls’ side.

“Being captain of the team makes me feel more responsible to help out my teammates,” Dylan said.

There are only eight weeks in the season. Then, there is OIA’s on Oct. 19 at K-Bay where you play six games in one day, and after that is States, which this year is going to be held in Kauai the week of Oct. 26. 

The only male Kalani bowler to win the OIA individual championship was B. Hamada in 1985 and the Kalani Boys have never won a team championship. Kalani Girls have been declared team champions five times since 1974 and six girls have won individual championships. 

Dylan Shugart 2017.

As of right now Dylan’s place in the standings is second in the east. Dylan has a very high chance to win OIA’s and States. “I really want a medal,” Dylan said. “My ultimate goal is to be a state champion.”

At States, each bowler bowls a total of nine games in back-to-back days.

As of right now, the best part of Dylan’s bowling season was the first week, when he saw all of the bowlers from every school. He also saw the priceless reaction from the 13 new Kalani bowlers as they realized what high school bowling is really like.

Bowling takes a lot of confidence and it is also very important to have a strong mentality. The Kalani Falcons Bowling Team is filled with fun people that support each other and have a good time with one another.