Piano Encourages Individual Expression

Staff photo 2021.

Eugene An, Trustan Kekauoha, Kodee Truong, Student Life

Piano is an elective at Kalani High School where students learn music theory and how to play the piano. Music theory involves staff notation, articulation, and dynamics. Students appreciate the stable, positive, and creative class environment.

Teacher Ms. Costales emphasizes creativity and allows students to compose and perform their own music. Students say she is reasonable and understanding and feel that she gets to know them on a personal level.

“Our teacher is very charismatic and can relate to the students. Her teaching style is energetic,” student Harrison Fong said.

Piano is mostly about growing your skills as an artist. You can take the class with zero experience or if you have been playing the piano your whole life.

“She works with different levels of musicality,” student Brianne Lee said.

In class, students complete projects and perform individual recitals. When they do group work, each person plays a different part of the song.

“It’s very tricky, but it will be very fun when it all comes together. I’m going to do a duet performance [at the winter recital],” Fong said.

In Piano II, students create a PowerPoint that Ms. Costales uses as part of her instruction in Piano I.

The class is graded on quality and memorization. You also get graded on your posture and the way you position your hands.

“It is actually pretty easy and fun despite how hard it sounds,” Chase Yezzi said.

Fong’s advice is to take advantage of time in class before performances.

“Take advantage of every single time you have because when it comes to performance time you’re gonna wish you had practiced,” Fong said.

Many students plan on taking Piano again. Fong said he would take Piano II if he weren’t graduating this year and plans on continuing with the instrument in college.

“I just love music and I love her class,” Fong said.