Low unemployment rate is deceptive

Hawaii low unemployment rate may be linked to a recent decline in the state’s labor force.

Last year, roughly 9.4 million visitors came to the islands, which led to an increased demand for hotel and restaurant workers. In Hawaii, we do not have enough housing or trained labor to support our economic growth. Staff Photo 2018.

Kenneth Wong, Features

In the United States, Hawaii has the lowest unemployment rate which may seem to be a good thing but that figure has its downsides. Employers are currently having a hard time hiring quality workers, possibly slowing the state’s economic growth. Many people either already have jobs or moved to the mainland to pursue jobs out of state. 

Many Kalani High School students agreed that after graduation they worry about their future.

Some employers are responding to the low unemployment rate in Hawaii by offering higher pay due to the lack of workers. Employers are constantly being forced to find ways to encourage employees to work for them, according to the U.S. Census Bureau.

“For cost of living, I feel like it is pretty high, which is also a problem. Since low wages are given, it’s hard to pay for a house, which leads to homelessness,” Kalani Junior Kyara Tagami claimed. “I am worried about this after I graduate because I feel like I would be struggling to maintain my money and pay everything off so I won’t be struggling even more.”

Hawaii is expensive and the available jobs often do not pay enough to help workers with high housing costs. The slow economy in Hawaii will cause additional issues in the future if the state is unable to pay for public pensions, highways, and other expensive infrastructure, according to a Nov. 18 article published in the Associated Press.

More and more young people lose confidence in the future they spend here, so they set out to the mainland for better chances.

“These factors are definitely something I have to consider when getting a job, and whatever major I want to go into,” Kalani Junior Everett Amemiya said. “It also makes me reconsider if I want to stay here for the rest of my life or not.” 

Last year the population on Oahu declined by 11 people per day on average. 

Making money is so hard in Hawaii that 47 percent of the residents in Hawaii spend more than a third of their monthly income on rent, and around one-quarter of the renters spend half of their income on housing. 

“I am worried for after I graduate because I don’t have a job yet!” Junior Jenny He stated. “ I feel like the cost is super high still, and this is why we have so many hobos!”

The huge demand for labor is prompted by the massive number of tourists visiting Hawaii. Last year, roughly 9.4 million visitors came to the islands, which led to an increased demand for hotel and restaurant workers. In Hawaii, we do not have enough housing or trained labor to support our economic growth. People still wonder how our islands will pay for the public services and infrastructure in the near future.

Many Kalani High School students concur that after graduation, they will worry about the job market, low wages, and the high cost of living.