Ka Leo O Kalani

First victory seals Homecoming Week

Back to Article
Back to Article

First victory seals Homecoming Week

Kalani High School held their Homecoming pep rally on September 10. At the rally, held in the Kalani gym, each class performed a Homecoming dance. The dances were choreographed to songs from the musicals that assigned to each class. After the pep rally, students walked to the track to watch “The Burning of the K”. The students watched the paper K burn from a safe distance as they all sang Kalani’s alma mater. Photo by Tiana Chu 2018.

Joleeya James, Sports

Friday, Sept. 14 Kalani High School’s Junior Varsity and Varsity football teams brought home their first wins of the season, bringing an end to Kalani’s Homecoming Week. The football teams played McKinley High School at Kaiser High School’s football field.

Kahokunani Canlas, a Kalani freshman, watched her first high school football game and was satisfied with the results.

“I feel happy for our school,” Canlas said. “The team put in a lot of effort in their practices for this win.” 

Kalani’s JV football team played a close game before sealing the win 27-22 with 30 seconds left. Varsity was able to win by one touchdown with 22-16.

Freshman Shamia Falls was also content with the win.

“I’m surprised, but I’m glad they won,” Falls said.

Unfortunately, Kalani’s Varsity running back Jake Lee dislocated his hip after being tackled by all of Mckinley’s defensive linemen. He felt his injury affected the team in a positive way.

“I think it pumped everyone up,” he said. “We played more as a team this season and acted like brother and sister.”