Girls’ locker room opens to athletes!

Kalani Principal Mitchell Otani stands beside Lauren Horita (12), student body president, during the lion-dance ceremony to dedicate the new girls’ locker room facility on Feb. 20. Photo by S. Wong.

Serena Wong, Student Life

Kalani High School held a dedication ceremony for their new Girls’ athletic locker room, athletic trainers’ room, and cheerleading, judo, and wrestling room on Friday, Feb. 22. Previous to the new facility, female athletes were forced to change in storage containers, crowded hallway bathrooms and sometimes use classrooms as locker rooms.

This building not only impacts us but also future generations of Lady Falcons as they are now given the resources to follow their dreams.

— Lauren Horita (12)

Title IX of the Education Amendments Act of 1972 is a federal law that states: “No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.”

The ceremony was attended by Senator Stanley Chang, Representative Mark Hashem, Deputy Superintendent Phyllis Unebasami, Complex Area Superintendent Rochelle Mahoe, Kalani Athletics Director Gregory Van Cantfort, and Kalani Principal Mitchell Otani, along with others who supported and helped this dream become a reality for the school’s female athletes.

“Through the support of the Kalani High School Administration, and with the help of our current State Legislators led by Representative Mark Hashem, Senator Stanley Chang and Speaker Emeritus Calvin Say, what started as a dream became a reality,” Otani said.

Student body president and four-year soccer player Lauren Horita spoke about the tremendous difference in having a new facility and believes it will serve as motivation to her fellow athletes.

Speaking as an alumnus of Kalani High School and on behalf of the countless graduates that came before and after me, I am happy and proud of this addition to our campus.

— Mitchell Otani (principal)

“This building not only impacts us but also future generations of Lady Falcons as they are now given the resources to follow their dreams,” Horita said.

Principal Otani said he hopes that this facility is “just the start” of many new additions to the school that will enhance education for all.

“Speaking as an alumnus of Kalani High School and on behalf of the countless graduates that came before and after me, I am happy and proud of this addition to our campus,” he said.

The JV and Varsity Soccer girls were the first to put the new facility to use. It is currently being used by spring sports teams such as Track and Field.