Kalani readies for Homecoming

Kalani High School’s Night Pep Rally sees the annual burning of the K on the school track. At the rally, held in the Kalani gym, each class performed a Homecoming dance. The dances were choreographed to songs from the musicals that assigned to each class. After the pep rally, students walked to the track to watch “The Burning of the K”. The students watched the paper K burn from a safe distance as they all sang Kalani’s alma mater. Photo by Tiana Chu 2018.

Lucy Fagan, Annyssa Troy, and Lauren Vierra

Kalani High School kicks off Homecoming Spirit Week Sept. 16 honoring music legends with the theme “Greatest of All Time.”

Musician Monday on Sept. 16 will be followed by Sports Day, World of Colors (Rainbow Day), and Class Color Day, and all these events lead up to Fridayʻs Red Out Day.

Friday, Sept. 20 is Kalani’s Homecoming football game against Pearl City at Kaiser High School.  

Kalani has four spirit weeks a year, usually tied to the season, or in this case event. Senior Reina Dryer, homecoming chair, believes they help make school seem “less monotonous and bring fun and laughs.”  

Another aspect of spirit week is the lunchtime games, where classes compete to win house points, which they also gain by participating in daily dress-up themes.

Monday’s Night Pep Rally gets the students fired up for the homecoming game and features different food vendors to be provided by school clubs and sports teams.

The Kalani Association of Students works to plan homecoming week. They select dress-up themes according to past recommendations and current trends, according to Dryer. 

“Iʻm so excited for Musician Monday because I want to be Bruno Mars,” junior Tiana Chu said.