Marine Science gets you to the beach

Ms.+Satos+bulletin+board+showcases+some+of+the+work+and+learning+that+takes+place+in+her+Marine+Science+class%2C+D-11.+

Oliver Greenleaf

Ms. Sato’s bulletin board showcases some of the work and learning that takes place in her Marine Science class, D-11.

Marine Science is an elective class offered to Kalani High School students entering their sophomore year and above. With registration just around the corner, it’s important students begin contemplating what electives they will choose. Marine Science focuses on the great big blue and the oceanography behind it.

Risa Ozawa (11) is taking Marine Science Level 1 with Ms. Sato, who started working at Kalani High School this year.

According to Ozawa, the class is currently learning about marine biology along with the properties of water. They also should be learning more about marine animals as the class progresses.

Every class starts with a “Daily Do” to engage students’ brains and review the information they know and will have to learn.

Tae Kam (11) a first-year Marine Science student, states that the class will typically continue their day with a video or lecture, often having a worksheet or discussion about the topic afterward.

According to Ozawa, the class is not extremely easy, but it’s not ever been overly “stressful” either. Ozawa is a student that can’t do work at home, that’s just how she functions, but she still got an A in the class.

Usually, the class will have short projects where they create slideshows or poster boards. Once complete, the students will present their finished products to the class.

By making it necessary for the students to present what they are learning to the class, the kids understand the material better than if they just heard a lecture.

“If you don’t like working with people, I wouldn’t recommend this class,” Kam says. “We work in groups a lot.”

The enforcement of public speaking in the classroom is meant to bring significant benefits to students in their future professions.

“I hope since we do some many discussions, it’ll help with my public speaking skills,” Kam says.

Marine Science is meant to enhance a person’s knowledge of the deep blue. Many students have also found it engaging and valuable in a way that assists their rhetoric skills.

“It’s a class that I can always look forward to,” Ozawa says.