From grass to the podium!

Tyler Grune (11) competes in the 110 meter hurdles at the OIA Eastern Divsional finals on Saturday, April 8. He took 4th in that event. According to his coach, Brooke Nasser, Grunes success in the hurdles is remarkable when you consider he practices on grass in trainers. 

Gabe Tom

Tyler Grune (11) competes in the 110 meter hurdles at the OIA Eastern Divsional finals on Saturday, April 8. He took 4th in that event. According to his coach, Brooke Nasser, Grune’s success in the hurdles is remarkable when you consider he practices on grass in trainers. 

Ami Yamane, Sports

Kalani High School’s very own Tyler Grune (11) recently placed 2nd in the 300m hurdles at the Hawaii High School Athletics Association (HHSAA) Track and Field meet. From practicing on Kalani’s dirt track and grassy field, Grune made his way up to the top after placing 22nd last year.

Grune started his track and field career just a year ago as a sophomore. From the moment he came to the team, the sprint and hurdles coach, Brooke Nasser, immediately recognized his talent and devoted her time to making Grune the best he could be.

“I’ve been hurdling and coaching hurdles for over 20 years,” Nasser said. “As soon as I saw Tyler run his first 110-meter hurdle race his [sophomore] year, I knew he was talented.”

Grune has improved by nearly five seconds in the 300-meter hurdle race and two seconds in the 110-meter hurdle race since last year. 

At the very first meet of the season, Grune was disqualified (DQ) in the 300-meter hurdles race. He actually didn’t win any of his hurdle races until the Oahu Interscholastic (OIA) Varsity Eastern Championship meet, where he was named 300-meter hurdle Varsity Eastern Champion. He then went on to win the OIA Varsity Championship in the 300-meter hurdle race.

Going into the 2022 track and field season, Grune says he didn’t have a specific goal for the sport. 

“I had no idea what to expect,” Grune said.

But this year was different; Grune started off wanting to make it into the 300-meter hurdle state finals, but when he won Easterns, things changed.

“After I won Easterns, I knew I had a shot at winning the state championship,” Grune said. “So I went after it.”

After tireless days of training and hard work, it’s safe to say Grune’s talent is more than just genetics. Kalani does not yet have a real track, so the hurdlers do the best they can with what they have. 

“Tyler practices on grass, which makes it nearly impossible for him to reach his full potential as a hurdler,” Nasser said. “Particularly in the 110, which requires precise and exacting technique.”

Nasser highlights Grune’s exceptional physical intelligence, meaning he understands his body and responds to feedback really well.

“[It] makes coaching him infinitely easier,” Nasser said.

Tyler Grune charges down the back stretch of the 300-meter hurdle race at the OIA Championship finals on Saturday, April 22. He won with a personal record and season best of 40.53. (Kinue Miller )

Going into finals at the state meet, some of his biggest competitors included Joshua Sanders (12) of Moanalua, Theolease Priestern (12) of Iolani, and Jaiden Sams (11) of Waimea. Sanders, who won the 2023 300-meter hurdle state championship, emphasizes Grune’s love for competing and understanding of hard work. 

“I’m really glad I got to race with him this season and I got to form another great friendship,” Sanders said. “He got some great things coming next season for sure.”

Sanders will be competing in Track & Field at the NCAA Division I level at Sacred Heart University next year.

Reece Kosaki, 2022 300-meter hurdle state champion and Kalani alumni, remembers training with Grune and calls him a “dedicated athlete.”

“Tyler showed up with a good mindset that would support others around him,” Kosaki said. “He definitely has more coming for him as he has a whole year of high school running left to make big things happen.”

Kosaki also wishes Grune luck for the next season and hopes Grune beats his 110 and 300 hurdle times.

Grune highlights all the people on the track team that came out, really showing who Grune is as a person — a humble kid enjoying his experience running with others.

“A bunch of new people came out and made it really fun,” Grune said. “The next best thing was winning.”

Coming up next for Grune is Nike Outdoor Nationals in June at the famous Hayward Field at the University of Oregon.