The student news site of Kalani High School

Ka Leo O Kalani

Ka Leo O Kalani

Welcome Mrs. Arechiga!

Arechiga smiles in front of her new classroom, C15. (Photo and caption by Ami Yamane) 

Kalani High School welcomes another falcon to the nest, Mrs. Arechiga, a woman of books and yoga.

Before becoming a teacher, Arechiga always worked in the service industry but brought it to a close working as a bartender. She now teaches a sophomore and junior English class, and co-teaches News Writing 1 with Ms. Isaacson. She also runs a book club in her home every six weeks with friends, neighbors, and teachers.

Arechiga takes pride in the family she’s created with her husband, Danny, and two kids, Reef, her two year old son, and Ohia, her four year old daughter. She also has a dog named Gustavo!

Diving into her history, Arechiga played tennis and field hockey in high school. She now takes a yoga class once a week, at Yoga Under the Palms in Kailua. Arechiga says it’s a part of her “once a week self-care afternoon”. Yoga has given her the unique skill of standing on her head, a cool party trick if you ask me. 

Arechiga also enjoys an early start to her morning with her Peloton, an indoor cycling bike. She’ll typically exercise before anyone in her house wakes up, around 4 a.m.

Arechiga looks forward to the rest of her year teaching seeing as she’s already connected to a few students in the first week of school.