The student news site of Kalani High School

Ka Leo O Kalani

Ka Leo O Kalani

A Star in the Rising

Kalani High School’s very own, Yuta Cole (12) has broken records and continues to win championships, and it’s just his third year running!

From the beginning, Cole has always remained a humble kid even after all of his accomplishments. In the past year alone, Cole has secured three state champion titles. His first in the 1500m during track and field with a 4:04.27, another in the 3000m also during Track and Field with a 9:15.72, and his latest at the Hawaii High School Athletics Association (HHSAA) Cross Country meet with a 16:16.2 in the 5k.

“The highlight of my season would easily be when I won the state championship since my previous year ended in a bittersweet finish,” Cole said. “However, the highlight of my career would have to be all of the places and people I’ve been able to meet all thanks to the sport.”

In addition to state championships, Cole has many other achievements under his belt such as multiple Eastern Junior Varsity (JV), JV, Oahu Interscholastic Association (OIA) Eastern, and OIA Championships in track and field. In cross country, Cole also has two Eastern Varsity, two OIA Championships, and was a runner up at the HHSAA state meet in 2022.

To top it off, Cole also shattered the 1500m OIA record on April 22, 2023 at Pearl City High School with a 4:01.35, which topped the previous record by over two seconds. Along with other school records in the 800 (1:58.4), 1500 (4:01.35), 3000 (9:14.47), and the 5k (15:57.4).

Yuta Cole (12) as he crosses the finish line in the first earning himself the individual state championship title at the Hawaii High School Athletic Association (HHSAA) Cross Country meet held at Central Oahu Regional Park on November 4th, 2023.

“It feels great to be able to run times that no one has before,” Cole said. “However, I don’t believe that it makes me any different from any of the previous great runners we’ve had as time is not the only basis for how good you are as a runner.”

Even after a full meet of events, Cole enjoys finishing his meets off by anchoring the 4x400m relay straight after the 3000m. In the 2023 track and field season, Tyler Grune (12), Christopher Kanemori (c/o 2023), Kai Bogle-Dupuis (12), and Cole beat the school record by just .14 seconds at the OIA Varsity championship with a 3:30.58.

When asked about his current coaches and training, Cole expressed his great gratitude for everyone on the team, including his teammates.

“I am extremely grateful for the support that I receive from my coaches as well as my peers,” Cole said. “I believe that the current coaches at Kalani are some of the best in the state and the same goes for all the runners here as well.”

Despite dedicating a lot of his time and commitment to this sport, Cole is still able to find enjoyable time for himself where he continues to stay active.

“I enjoy working out at the gym and playing soccer with my friends,” Cole said.

Currently, Cole is training for track and field during this off season with teammate and friend, Jacob Bishop (12).

“I look to increase my mileage to more than I have before,” Cole said. “It’ll ideally set an inexcusable base for fitness during track season.”

Cole looks ahead to the 2024 track and field season where he hopes to break the 1500 and 3000 meter state records, as well as help his teammates achieve their own personal goals.