Mr. Nguyen teaches his way into Kalani!

Thierry Nguyen is new to Kalani this year and teaching in the English department. You may recognize him as the older brother of math teacher Tristan Nguyen. Photo by Aidan Hart.

Aidan Hart and Daniel Zheng

As the new school year begins, we have not only new students joining us this year but also some new teachers. One of our latest teachers is Mr. Thierry Nguyen, not to be confused with Tristan Nguyen, who teaches math and is Thierry’s brother.

Thierry Nguyen is an English teacher who initially taught 8th Grade English at Kaimuki Middle School last year. He decided to move to Kalani when Mr. Otani offered him a job as it was more convenient.

He is a freshmen English teacher and has an English III class for juniors. Nguyen believes his students should use their interests to engage the class more.

“Instead of looking at poetry, I have students looking at music of their choice, Thierry Nguyen said. “Music is another form of poetry, and I ask them to make connections and analyze the words.”

Nguyen’s brother, Tristan Nguyen, a math teacher here, is “pretty stoked” about his brother teaching at Kalani. Although they teach different subjects, Tristan Nguyen will do his best to help support his older brother.

“As the younger sibling, it was admittedly a little strange getting used to the idea that I actually have more experience at something than him,” Tristan Nguyen said. “While we may be in different departments, I am happy that we can support each other professionally as we continue to carve out our own paths.”

The older Nguyen’s students describe him as a laidback teacher.

“He is a benevolent person and very chill,” Nadia Chung (9) said. “He makes sure that everyone understands the topic, and no one is behind.”

Although this is Thierry Nguyen’s first year at Kalani, he strives to do the best he can to teach his students so that they can excel in his class. If you are ever in his class, you can be assured that your interests will fuel your productivity.