The First Sharp Pangs of Senioritis

Wiki+Commons

Wiki Commons

Kai Kuruhara, Student Life Writer

So it is here, Senior Year, and the class of 2018 is finally at the top of the food chain. Everyone thinks that their final year in high school will be the best and easiest year of them all, but is that true? Is senior year everything you hoped and dreamed of?

Is it what you see in movies or what your parents told you it would be like?

With it being only the second month of school, I have noticed a lot of complaints coming from my classmates and wondered if the highly anticipated Senior Year was not what it has been cracked up to be.

Ann-Sophie Huschka and Taylor MacKowiak expressed that their Senior Years were not at all going as expected, due to hard classes and misconceptions. They find themselves working more than they ever have while suffering from senioritis.

“So far Senior Year has not been living up to my expectations. I imagined it to be more chill and relaxing, but instead, it’s really stressful. There’s like tests and quizzes every day and college things to prepare for. Hopefully, it gets better though, which I know it will,” Jenny Tao said.

Aside from those who were shocked from the harsh realities of Senior Year, I came across a couple from the other side of the spectrum. Macey Honjio and Kaira Verdugo both aren’t surprised with the turnout so far.

“I think that my Senior Year is the way it is because I tried to keep my schedule light,” said Macey.

Kaira shared that she “really didn’t expect anything” of her last year at Kalani.

In retrospect, Sophomore Year seemed to be everyone’s best year so far because you’re not the youngest nor are you the oldest in the school, and you’ve become acquainted with the school environment.

“By sophomore year, I was already used to the school and the workload was very manageable,” said Ann Sophie.

Others went on to say that it was because they didn’t have to stress about college or being afraid of the upperclassmen.

One day, the underclassmen will become seniors and will reflect on their years spent in high school; hopefully, they won’t have any regrets.

To prevent that from happening, many of the seniors offered some great advice such as “don’t procrastinate, enjoy being in high school, and make the most of it because it really does impact your future” and “don’t be afraid to be who you are because when you get to senior year, you start to realize that soon, none of the little things you were scared or afraid to be/do will matter.”

Senior year may not be all that you expected it to be, but it is what you make of it and the things leading up to it. You may be experiencing a hefty amount of work, but maybe that has to do with the fact that there aren’t many classes exclusively for seniors.

But don’t lose hope just yet. I heard it gets better.