Kalani Prom Review

By Kim Navarre from Brooklyn, NY (Aleks’ beautiful corsage Uploaded by France3470) [CC BY-SA 2.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons

Chloe Anzai, Student Life

Kalani High School’s prices for junior and senior proms are too high. The average cost of two prom tickets is $100-175. The total tally varies depending on your clothing and accessories choices.

You have to buy or rent a suit or a dress, a corsage, and boutonniere. Renting a suit is about $140, buying a dress can range from $100 to $400, sometimes more, a corsage is $35 to $45, and a boutonniere is approximately $15 to $20. These aren’t mandatory, but they bring out the looks of the dress and suit.

Many in Hawaii don’t have the money to spare, with high mortgages, rent, utilities, taxes and other living expenses. Some parents can’t afford to spend that type of money just for one night of their kids’ lives. Most students don’t pay for themselves, but there is a small percentage that does.

The overall price for a guy with a date is roughly $300. That’s without a limo. For a girl with her date, the price would be $425. Girls tend to spend more because they want to find (and buy) the perfect dress, and most of the time the perfect dress is hundreds of dollars.

Although it’s a night to remember, some don’t think it’s worth the money.

“It’s too expensive for what you get. Like, it’s alright and all, but sometimes you spend the money on things you don’t really want. They should spend it more on food,” Tiffany Ly, a junior at Kalani, said.

The Prom King himself has some reservations.

“Prom is not worth it because I heard the music sucked, the food was kinda bad, and the dance floor was too small,” said Trevor Nishida.

Nishida was elected prom king by his fellow students. If the prom king thinks it ain’t worth the money, that really says something.