Kalani Guides Future Entrepreneurs

Daniel Shiraki and Emily Velasco

DECA, or Distributive Education Clubs of America, teaches Kalani students life skills. It also teaches students how to become successful entrepreneurs by starting and maintaining a mock business of their own.

“I not only learned more about business industries and how companies function but also leadership and communication skills that would benefit me in the long run,” Lauree Tam (12) wrote. 

Tam has taken business classes for all four years and joined DECA.

DECA students gather in Mrs. Potterton’s room for their first chapter meeting of this school year. Photo courtesy of Lisa Potterton.

Business Year 1  focuses on copyrighting, promotion, and the laws businesses must abide by. In Business Year 2 students use knowledge learned from Business Year 1 to create and manage their own company. 

Tam wrote that the most “stressful” part of Business 1 and 2 was presenting to her classmates. 

“I was also very shy in freshman year and hated public speaking, but all of the presentations and feedback made me grow to be comfortable presenting to an audience,” Tam wrote. 

Business Year 3 and 4 include mostly self-directed work on fundraisers and projects. 

Students find that Mrs. Potterton teaches in a way that is easy to understand. Tam also commented that Mrs. Potterton taught her lessons in order of importance. 

“I like the efforts Mrs. Potterton puts in to encourage her students to have the best learning environment possible and create a safe space for them to share their opinions and interact with others,” Tam wrote. 

For students considering joining DECA, Tam states that a normal day in the class includes practicing roleplays and taking exams for upcoming competitions. First years usually watch informative slideshows and study company elements which include logos and market plans. 

According to Tam, DECA helped her develop a business mindset, improved her public speaking, and prepared her for a future job in a business setting.

“I would absolutely recommend this class to others,” Tam wrote. “Although most are stressed about the presenting aspect, you have to confront your fears one day.”